Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Cold linoleum chills my back


Cold linoleum chills my back
Pine green walls-dingy
Tan metal lockers slamming shut
Padlocks bang against metal doors
My back is cold- cold linoleum;tan marbled floor
Echoed voices-hum of fluorescent lights overhead
Louder than they likely are
Dead flies and spiders encased in glass beneath the fluorescent tubes-2 by 2
Needles-firey fingers on my head
A cold linoleum floor is my temporary bed
My chest afire- my heart as though it is in a race
With my fingertips; those marbled marks on the floor I trace
Stiff neck-shoulders too
Eyes blur over
White matte finished doors all look the same
Only room numbers set them apart
More and more people line the hall standing; while some others sit on paint chipped wooden benches
Me. A corner of metal lockers to my left and to my right
I hear the steady droning hum of the fluorescent lights and the sound of an aluminum walker tap-tap-tapping; to me incessantly and thunderously; go by me.
My name is called. I hear it once,twice 3 times.
My legs twitch as I rise- like they are sleeping-melting from under me.
Thousands of needles-red hot needles.
I move my neck. Creak !!
Bone or muscle?  I do not know
Do others hear it ?
50 white starched lab coats – 50 white starched trousers
50 people plus the instructors of which I count 6 through my vibrant vision; though blurred at times like these.
49 of which I do not know; nor have never met; not including the instructors.
100 plus eyes on me? I feel like they are.
I sit in the chair. My teary eyes focusing on the white ceiling of 2 by 4 foot panels of acoustic tile; some beige stained from long ago water leaking.
One of those baby blue bibs with metal clips around my neck.
2 folded paper towels in my hand. A George Brown course guide in my lap.
It is warm.
It is damp.
Now sopping wet.
I’ve wet myself.
I feel shame.
I feel like a loser.
I feel disgust at myself.
I feel…maybe more than I should
I don’t feel like writing.
I feel the head rushes;eyesight fading.
My heart feels like it’s in the Indy 500 race.
I wish I had the cold feel of the linoleum on me again- away from the 100 plus eyes-eyes brown-blue-green-hazel.
In solitude.
In silence. Both around me and in my head.

Again; I sit outside; knees to my chest; my back against the concrete wall; surprisingly not marred by graffiti.  I do not sit near the wad of gum that I previously sat near.
A dove approaches me within one foot; its greenish purple feathers within touch.
It moves from me as the red double deckered bus stops across Kendal Avenue from me.
A rainbow of colored clothing on differently hued people.

I am at Davenport and Kendal now waiting to go home. Wanting to go home.
I see Casa Loma from here but I don’t want to walk up the street; nor the steps to see it up close today.
If I see what I see in myself; then I guess others see it in me as well.
I want to go home.
But “it” is there too
I know I took my Escitalopram today.
Like I do everyday.
I get up and take it.
A ritual.
Today; it doesn’t seem to be working.
It is a gorgeously warm (maybe too warm) sunny day; but in my head it is cloudy.
In my head it is endless shades of grey.
Yet I wait.
Brow and forehead sweating.
Body pulsing.
Then it passes as quickly as it came. Yet sometimes lingering longer

Joe Lethbridge June 11 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment