Saturday, May 4, 2013

Thank you to an author

Dear Mr. Wilson
I am sure you are receiving emails fast and furiously in praise and much appreciation for "redefining success-still making mistakes, and rightfully so. I read the book in one sitting last night.
This email may very well be lost in the shuffle but I wanted to thank you. I am a writer so likely this will be lengthy.
I eyed the book at our public library and honestly thought "great another get rich quick scheme" but then I came to my own conclusion. You and Arlene Dickinson seem to be the most grounded on dragons den. That and the fact; bubbles from trailer park boys gave it a review.
Though I am not financially successful.
I had worked at an internationally known not for profit from 2003 to April 2009 when it was decided the location I managed in Cambridge Ontario was no longer profitable.
I started as a volunteer and was manager by 2007.
Losing my job was one thing; but to see my employees; but more important to me; seeing volunteers I trained and mentored gone. These volunteers had emotional, educational and physical barriers. My location mentored them when other places would not.
Some returned to their homes and cloistered once again playing video games for extended periods of time.
It caused me much anxiety and depression; which I am still dealing with pharmaceutically.
I found myself to be anything but a success at the tine but looking back I was a success. It was the higher powers that be, the board of directors on up to the CEO that failed. They focused on the dollar rather than what the founder; J Edgar Helms desired. Offering a hand up rather than a hand out.
Though I have not been able to work since April 2009 due to depression.
I recall still having keys a week later; going into the thrift store; leaning on a wall and slumping to the floor in tears.
I remember every volunteer that myself and my staff mentored. I still see many of them who still thank me.
That defines my success.
Helping others but not forgetting about
yourself and never your moral compass.
Though I am on limited income I still find ways to help.
I volunteer with my local AIDS committee and local food bank. I make hand beaded jewelry from donated broken jewelry and try selling it to donate funds to the local AIDS committee and a few other charities.
Luckily I have been invited to two local events later in May and June.
I am open about my depression and have written much about it and public speaks on it.
People define me as anything but a success because I rent an apartment in a seedy part of Cambridge. I am on Ontario works and waiting on decision from Ontario disability.
I am a success in more ways than I am a failure.
Thank you so much for redefining success. I still make mistakes but really; would we learn anything if we didn’t.

Joe Lethbridge
Cambridge Ontario
May 4 2013
Ps I have my spa appointment booked


No comments:

Post a Comment