Tuesday, November 24, 2009

My First Crush-My Ponytailed Princess

It was grade 2 or 3 I first fell in love . At least a 8 or 9 year old type of love . Sigh ! I remember it well. It was at a country school called Littles Corners Public School . Her name was Janice. She sat directly in front of me in class. I think I fell in love with her pony tail wrapped up tight in that red elastic band with the two bright yellow plastic balls . I was always temped to grab the elastic band and let it snap just to see her reaction .

One day I fell to temptation. SNAP !!!!

WAAAH !! She howled . How could two little yellow plastic balls cause her to cry out. I was soon going to find out. She pulled the elastic from her hair . She placed one end of the elastic on the thumb of her right and held the other end between her thumb and index finger. She pulled it back ; like an arrow on a bow and let it go .

That little elastic band had some force behind it . WAAAH ! That time it was me. The elastic and those two little yellow plastic balls came full force hitting me just under my right eye; smacking into my cheek bone.

"THERE! Hows that feel Joey ? It doesn't tickle ; does it ? " Janice said ; not so sweetly
The love of my 2nd or 3rd grade . The one who had the cutest; well kempt pony tail had made me cry ; but yet there was something thrilling about it .

At recess we would chase each other around the old school bell which was set up on a rock base. In the winter time we would slide down the hill on our backs ; using our jackets as our sleds. In the springtime I would stick my hand in the neighbouring fence and pull flowers from the garden ; only to be left with the stem in my hand. I offered it to her . She gave me look of dismay and disgust. "That's not a flower Joey; that's a stem.

Was there no pleasing this girl ? The year ended and it was summer vacation . In the fall; on return to school we were in the same class yet again . YES !!!

But along with a new year came some new students . SIGH ! The love of second or third grade had moved on . She had found a new boy .

So there I sat behind another girl who had a ponytail ; not quite as nice or as long or as well kempt as Janice . Should I ? I let it go . There was no one quite like my pony tailed princess Janice .

No comments:

Post a Comment