Monday, November 16, 2009

An Unkempt Marker

I wrote this after someone had asked me if I had ever lost a parent or friend . Although I was not close to this person ; I did know enough about him to write it. I have never been to the cemetery so I am going by what this person has relayed to me. I wish I had written this on To Write Love on her Arms Day . Much like myself; I had shut myself down and went on like depression wasn’t affecting me . I’d simply say I was in a bad mood or just felt like being quiet . If you think you or anyone is going into or are in a state of depression ;please seek help .

Your gravestone is just a flat grey stone with name and date
No mention of your parents -Oh what a cruel fate

It’s edges are overgrown with moss and grass
It’s been a few years since that day passed

A bunch of sun faded flowers toppled from the wind
You were merely fifteen years old , not yet a man but neither a kid

People thought you had it all . Money glory and fame
Then why a gravestone ;with no parents names

You were much like me ;“always smiling” -“always there”
But when you fell into that deep dark sadness; where was their care

It was summer of 1977
You left the earth and went to Heaven

Your “always smile” wasn’t always real
If you felt depressed ; people would say “Dude ! Just deal”

It was a hot sunny day - like so many that year
But you woke up full of panic and fear

You felt you were trapped and wanted to be free
You went to the woods and climbed up the tallest tree

Thirty feet up you sat-resting ,thinking, crying
You thought of what life is what of dying

From your backpack you pulled out the rope
Tied fast to branch . You couldn’t cope

You stood on the branch -tears on your face
Let yourself drop;dangled in space

Your gravestone is just a flat grey stone with name and date
No mention of your parents -Oh What a cruel fate

Your grave seems long forgotten by the unkempt growing grass
If people opened their heart and souls ; it could have changed your past

No comments:

Post a Comment