Sunday, October 4, 2009

Birth and Rebirth

In about a week my only son will turn 18 . I remember the day my now ex-wife came home and told me with tears in her green-blue eyes "Joe ; we're pregnant " It was the best news I had been waiting for . We were married in June of 1990 and our son was born in August 1991 . During the entire pregnancy I would rub her belly feeling our son growing and eventually kicking . We would both talk to him in utero and had picked up some books already and read to him for the entire nine months before he was born . When it came down to his birth at the hospital I wnet into the delivery room and watched and cut the umbilical cord. I think i recall weeping openly . My ex-wife and I had already talked about how important it was that one of us would stay home with him and raise him the way we wanted to . I know most people say there is no way that one parent can work and survive , we made do . We put our sons needs and wants above our own . My wife was the primary earner so ; between us we decided , nmuch to my excitement that I would stay home and raise him . I remember his first steps , his first tooth ; really of his firsts. He used to sleep with his knees pulled tightly up against his chest and we called him "toad" . He had Pyloric Stenosis when he was a baby which caused him to projectile vomit rather than have bowel movements. We took him to the doctors; only be told that it was "first time parent jitters " and he would be fine. We knew our son . He had the operation . There was not a night that either my ex wife or I would lie with him in his toddler bed and read to him . My favourite story to read to him was "Goodnight Moon"

We enrolled him in swim lessons as a toddler; I think maybe three months old. I took him to Library Programs where we did activities together . I recall when they had a Superhero theme reading program and our son was "super Solar System Man " There are so many things I remember in the twelve years I stayed home and helped raise our son ; some that people would think are trivial . I would walk him to Stewart Avenue every morning and pick him up after school was done . When he was ready for bed at a younger age before going to bed he would say " Night Daddy I love you from zigzog to mool-moo " He made up his own planets and when I asked where they were he said " We can't see them -they are that far away " I knew it meant he loved me alot. He still loves me alot.

He comes to see me pretty well every Saturday and we watch a movie on the dvd palyer or I just watch him on the computer watching Broadway snippets . On this past Monday he called and let me know he had got his G2 Licence and wanted to know if I wanted to go for a drive with him . I did .

In about a weeek my son will turn 18 . I remember the day ; not so long ago when I thought I had lost everything . I had lost the job I lost most and it seemed that my friends were scattering away from me . It was a long haul but after seeing what I have and have to look forward to ; it was kind of my own re-birth in thanks to my son and so many others that made me realize that some people love me from zigzog to mool-moo . I love you that much too.

No comments:

Post a Comment