Sunday, October 11, 2009

Granny Brokenleg


Thanks to my sister for reminding me that tommorrow would be our granny,s 104 th birthday .
She could be feisty when she felt she had to be and she would shoot from the hip if she had something to say ; which was a lot of time. I would just snicker when she said what was on her mind and said it sometimes in her own uncensored way .

She used to always say she would never kick Tom Selleck out of her bed for eating crackers and sayings like that . I remember most of my time with her when she lived at Westgate. I would go up ther maybe 2 or 3 times a week and run to the grocery store for her . She would ask fro a loaf of bread , her cans of soup which were already stockpiled in her pantry , but she needed more. Haha . I never questioned "Granny you must have 40 cans of Tomato soup in there already " TUM-AH-TOE . True english . I used to ask "If its TUM-AH-TOE ; why isnt potato PO-TAH-TOE " She would just get a look on her face like I was beiing an ass and say "because it isnt "

She would hand me $20.00 and off I would go. I would bring the groceries back and put them away for her. Even though I only had to spend seven or eight dollars of the twenty she would insist that I keep the change. I always argued with her " Granny I dont do stuff to get money out of you . " She would insist I take something and ended up keeping the change and hand her the bills.

She would ask me to put the money away for her. Man ! She had so many different spots she kept her money; it was hard to keep up. There was a spot for the paper boys money.her Readers Digest, Her Foster Kids Plan money . I lost track . I went to put the money away in one spot ; which I didn't know was the paper boys spot . "What you putting $5.00 in his for . I didn't get Wednesdays bloody paper. I'm not tipping him five dollars. Put it in the dresser drawer under my sweaters.

I would sit and just chatter with her while she would sew or knit . The tv was always on but for background noise. I rememebr a few times just reading through the TVGuide and then setting it down .

"Not on THE Bible -nothing goes on top my Bible " she would scold .
Granny had to have her leg amputated because she was a diabetic and gangrene had set in. SHe had an artificial leg and even though I knew it was foam ; I'd get squeamish when she would stick her sewing needle in it and use it for a pin cushion .

Granny told me so many stories of growing up and having her kids and how she missed all the ones she hadnt seen in years . Granny never always had the best life herself and her kids were placed into foster care; but to this day I dont think Granny ever didnt miss them all. She gave them up becuase she wanted them to have a better chance at life.

At the end of each visit I would give granny a big hug and a big kiss. She would always kiss me on the right cheek .

Then she would say "come back soon " and say I love You Joe .Granny loved everybody ! If they pissed her off however; she let them know .

I love you too Granny . Happy Birthday .

No comments:

Post a Comment