Thursday, October 8, 2009

The sun and the moon and the boat




This morning I woke up at 6:45 ;something I haven't done in a long time . I stay in my bed for 15 minutes just looking out the window that faces the east . With the sun just uncovering itself from it's blankets of clouds ; it made the panes of glass look like sheets of gold . In the horizon I could see the hillside; leaves changing their colours for Autumn. If I looked directly straight into the sky ; the moon was still there ;almost as bright as in the evening sky .

I rolled out of bed ; sighed and wondered ,What are you getting up already for ? I trudged into the bathroom with barefeet ; almost hopping ,as the floor was cold on my tender tootsies.

I got dressed and took a walk downtown to grab a coffee. I walked past the Anglican church and like always looked up to the spire and the stained glass windows . I always have my camera with me in my jacket pocket so I took a few pictures. Yeah; I know . The church has always been there so why take pictures. I lay on the grass ; back flat against the wet ;almost frosty grass and aimed my camera high .

A woman happened to be walking her dog and she hesitatingly asked "Are you okay sir ? Do you need any help getting up ? " I held back all temptation to make a joke. I was tempted to take teh line from the old television commercial and say "I've fallen and I can't get up " but I resisted . I explained that I was just taking pictures from an insects perspective. She made an odd looking face and simply said " Oh ok then-whatever floats your boat " and continued walking

"Whatever floats my boat ?" I liked that . My life is my boat . I can take it wherever and however I want to . As long as I don't intentionally hurt people . I am my own Captain , if i feel like being gilligan I can.

I got up from taking pictures and continued on to the cafe . She was just opening up and saw me. "Whoa Joe; you are here early . Who pissed the bed ?" I had to laugh. I went in and sat; reading the paper . I really wish someone would come out with a Good News issue only . Yeah; I know there is bad in the world but why does it get all the focus . Yeah; I know bad news sells more papers. I turned to the entertainment (AKA gossip !) and read it .

I had my coffee and sipped on it burning my lips . Man it was hot ! "yeah Joe ; it would be hot . I can get you an Ice Cappucino. " the cafe owner joked . I love coming here. We can joke back and forth . "Ok " I said "BUT it has too have whipped cream and a maraschino cherry on top "

"Only you Joe-only you " she replied. Yes there is only one of me . There is only one of anyone. It's my boat ,I am my own captain.

I gave her the two hugs I often do . " Hey ! our hugs " is what I would hear if I ever forgot . We would hug each other twice and almost in sync we would say "Double double "

"See ya next time " and then I went on home. The light from the sun was still making the office windows look like sheets of gold. It was probably like that every sunset; today I noticed.

Maybe I am seeing a new light on things . If only I could get the bank to stop harrassing me .

Enjoy the sunshine my friends. If its cloudy, they will part and the sun willl shine.

I love you !

No comments:

Post a Comment