Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Jason Antone "Start to Move " CD review and interview

photo credit : Gerry Garcia
Chicago born Jason Antone first began playing piano at age 3 and then moved on to play the violin and saxophone ; settling on the piano. Jason attended DePaul University for vocal studies and musical management.

“Start to Move” is Jason’s debut cd and quite the debut it is . I am almost certain that we will hear much more from Jason .

Dance,techno-pop,electronica- call it what you will but this is music that will have you up on the dance floor until the bartender screams across the floor “Last call -bar closes in 5 minutes”. You will still want to dance the night away and take in all you can of Jason.

“Everybody Wants to rule the World” is a classic tune from the Tears for Fears hitting the Billboard Top 100 in June 1985 . Jason does a seamlessly flawless cover of this which he truly makes his own.

“Start to Move” has thirteen tracks; eleven of which Jason has written. Ballads to dance.

I had the opportunity to ask Jason some questions which he graciously answered.

When was the first time you picked up a microphone and decided “hell yeah ! I wanna do this for a living ?”

Jason : I vaguely remember and old magic microphone that had to be tuned to 88.9 or something at a very young age and feeling quite comfortable and at home. Took me a few more years to figure out I could do it for a living

Who are some of your musical influences ?

Jason: George Michael, Madonna, Janet, Alanis, Anita Baker, Sarah Vaughan, Nina Simone

Your version of “everybody wants to rule the world “ - I wont call it a cover because I think you made it your own. . What motivates you to choose the songs you do “covers” of ?

Jason: My producer selected that song and I think he made an awesome decision. I think covers are great when they are a good fit and compliment the song and the homage from the new artist is genuine.

How do you define success in the music biz when it can be cutthroat at times ?

Jason :Success is doing what you love and to appreciate the obstacles that eventually can make you stronger.

Techo-trance-pop ? How do you define you music stylings ?
Jason: I try not to define it too much, but currently my phrase is electronic pop.

You have 13 tracks on the cd “Start to move” . 11 of which you wrote . Which song matters most to you on a personal level .

Jason: Although I love all my children equally, “Nothing To Hide” was written at a time in my life that I wasn’t sure how or why I could be a songwriter. I feel as though it was written through me and ended up as guide in my life. I wrote it on a trip to Israel in 30 minutes. I opened my journal, wrote down this song, penned the notation, closed it and came back to it the next year. I forgot it happened.

When you perform live; what can fans expect to see ?
Jason: LIVE singing, some signature moves, and a visual experience like no other. I like to take the journey with the audience and entertain.

Any plans to come to Canada in the foreseeable future ?
Jason : I would love to if you\’d have me. Any time.

When you write ;what do you come up with first - lyrics or music ?
Jason: It happens both ways or even at the same time. I will call myself, sing into a recorder, write on a pack of gum, whatever it takes to get it out. When it appears, I have to act on it because when you think you\’ll remember later, it disappears. I act on it immediately.

Congrats on your debut album “start to move “ Jason . Looking forward to hearing more from you soon
My fave songs on the cd are “nothing to hide”, “Like me” “oh oh oh “ “love you like that “ and “everybody wants to rule the world”

Thanks Joe. Glad you like it. The next single is “Ooh Ooh Ooh” and will be released with video later this year.

For more information on Jason Antone ‘ please go to www.jasonantone.com or www.myspace.com/jasonantone CD available on itunes.com or amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment