Wednesday, September 30, 2009

To Sit and Watch the Fire


Sometimes I write from my own "real" self. Sometimes I write from another perspective. The following are somewhere in the middle.


I can see you sitting at the campfire; burning embers reflecting off your face. Stars overhead; that familiar twinkle in your eyes while you fan away the smoke from getting in your eyes . Your gaze is fixed on the flickering flames ; lost in thought. It is then that I wish I could be inside your head to know what you were thinking about . You seem to be lost in thought so much. You can hear the chirping of the crickets and the bullfrogs steady croaking sounds. You poke at the fire stirring up the ashes and turn the firewood over so it burns evenly . You cup your hands behind your head and stretch your legs ; turning your eyes towards the night sky . A sky filled with not a cloud; but countless stars as far as our eyes can see. I too; get lost in thought ; my mind wandering as quick as lightning from one thought to another but they always seem to come back to one thing ; you . It always seems to be quiet nights like these ; without the deafening sounds of transport trucks passing by that I do most of my thinking and wondering "what if's"


From my view; sitting on the window ledge the sky above me is clear. I can see the same star I watched last night . It is almost as if it is waiting for me to make my nightly wish . I wonder if I make the same wish over and over if it will increase my chances or is it just like a lottery and just the luck of the draw. I find it easier to express myself in the written word than to verbalize it. Sometimes when I hear myself talking I hear myself as coming off as too romantic or altruistic . Sometimes I will just leave my thoughts in my head along with the names of the people I write about . It sometimes pains me to hold my feelings inside yet I would rather spare the person hearing my feelings be openly expressed. I am a city boy but I am more like a country boy when it comes to what I really enjoy . Sometimes living in the city; we take things for granted . Simple; yet elegant at its core things. Sunrises and sunsets , clear night skies filled with nature's neon lights and rainbows. I don' know if I could actually live in the country but in my heart and my soul it's more like country living . How I would love to sit in a lounge chair , watching a blazing firepit and hear the wood popping , shooting little embers off . Just to be lost in thought ; thinking and wishing.


I am sitting on my window ledge in the city ; legs dangling three stories above the ground . Even though I see the lights of the city blinding out the beauty of the stars , my mind sees a campfire burning with embers reflecting off your face . My eyes twinkle thinking of that .

No comments:

Post a Comment