Wednesday, September 30, 2009

This is what I loved most about my job

From the top of the entrance ramp I could see a slender young man with red hair walking back and forth past the front entrance of the store with a manila envelope in his hands. I happened to look away for a brief moment to ring some merchandise through . When I had finished ; my eyes turned back towards the entrance and midway up the ramp stood the young man ; nervously running his hand over the pine railing. When I asked if I could help him ; his eyes lowered and focused on the floor below him . He turned and walked out the door and heading back up the street .

It was about twenty minutes later that he returned ; sluggishly walking up the ramp , handing me the manila envelope without looking at me or saying a word . I opened the envelope and pulled out his orientation package and read through it . I was expecting a student from one of the local high schools and this was him . I put my hand out to shake his hand welcoming him to Goodwill. He hesitatingly gave me a loose handshake and quickly pulled his hand away and wiped it on his pants . Meekly he apologized” I get kinda sweaty when I’m nervous” I told him I know what that is all about and explained my own situation when I first came through the same doors he did as a volunteer. He seemed stunned that there was someone else like him in the big world . I asked him to come into my office and left the door open so he wouldn’t feel any additional nervousness . He sat in the chair twiddling his fingers and tapping his foot on the carpeted floor. I read through all the documents and explained how we operate and who we benefit . “You mean people like me” he asked. I replied “No people like us ; there are so many who benefit from what we do “

I took him on the regulatory tour of the store including safety precautions and exits . I told him where we could use help the most ; although his placement was for three months and was to include cash training and processing . He seemed overwhelmed with the operation of a small store but I let him know he could start with what was most comfortable for him . He advised me that he was most nervous around a lot of people so we set him up in the back sorting clothes where there would be only two other employees.

He was in the back processing area for about two weeks and had been a good sorter and was starting to open up a little . He wouldn’t initiate conversation but would reply to co-workers and myself . It was at this time that he noticed all the activity at the front of the store . He could hear customers with co-workers talking and sharing laughs . He asked if he could try working out the front of the store to see what it was all about . I had him straighten the clothing on the hangers so all the hangers were facing the same way and folding clothes in the bins . As he progressively became more comfortable with his surroundings ; he moved closer to the cash area where most of the activity took place. It was here where customers asked “ Do you work here ?” At first he would reply “No I am just a volunteer” I kindly and gently reminded him that he was not JUST a volunter . He was just as important as anyone else . He was an important cog in the wheel . Without all the cogs; the wheel can break and movement stops.

He grew more comfortable day by day and eventually alongside a cashier he trained as a cashier. This is when his eyes began to sparkle and it was easier for him to make eye contact .

His placement was soon over . He now came in a bit earlier than scheduled and would ask if he could stay longer .

It was his last day of placement with us and with all of the volunteers and placements I have had the privelege of having ; he came into the store ; knocked on my door and handed me a card and I opened it . It was a Thank You card . I gave him a card from myself and staff that we all signed and made small notations in. I read the letter he had enclosed in the card. In part it read and I quote verbatim ; “Thank You for giving me the chance and opportunity of working at Goodwill . I have had a lot of fun working here and this experience will be with me for the rest of my life. My attitude has changed considerably from when I came and what I am now, I am now more confident and more outgoing. I now know how to work a cash register and how to sort things . Most importantly , out of all these things I have learned it is to work hard and be yourself. Who care what other people think of you ;You know who you are and no one can ever change that . I have learned so much from everyone . Joe you have been an amazing and wonderful person to work for over the months if I hadn’t met you I wouldn’t have learned all the things I have learned about respecting other people “ It was hard for me not to show my emotion as I read the letter. It was me now who was fidgety . I pointed out one line in his letter “ To work for” I reminded him that we ; him included work with and alongside Goodwill .

He looked at his watch and said “ I guess I am outta here ‘ey Joe” shook my hand with a much firmer grip than three months prior and let go only to give me a hug . “thanks for teaching me Joe” I reminded him again of me being the same way . “ Hey a teacher can only be as good as his students “ I replied . He picked up his backpack and headed out my office door and went to every staff member and other volunteer in the store thanking them. He walked with pride with a new revitalized sense of being. That is one Mission Moment that carries on to this day . I received a letter from his teacher saying the improvements seen in him; his Mom came to the store to personally thank us for getting him out of his bedroom and into the real world .

That was almost two years ago . He has now graduated with honours in Math and History at his grade level and is now working full time . Once in awhile while out walking I see him and he makes it a point of crossing the road to say hello . Those are Mission Moments but that moment was three months placement and what he learned and what we learned from him carry on .

No comments:

Post a Comment