Wednesday, September 30, 2009

To follow a dream

...and there we sat ; our backs pressed against the deeply furrowed bark of a maple tree lapping away at our chocolate cookie dough ice cream cones . The sun was beating down full force on us . We couldn’t keep licking at our cones fast enough. We couldn’t help but laugh like a bunch of giddy school kids. We had ice cream running down our hands to our elbows . We licked at our fingers and hands but still the ice cream melted. We gave up and just enjoyed the remains of our ice cream; which by now was a liquid sitting in the base of our cones. I think it must have been thirty two degrees ; most likely more with the humidex factor. I wiped the last of my sticky fingers on my shorts ; stretched out my legs and cupped my hands behind my head. I could feel the sweat beading up on my chest beneath my shirt- like a small puddle in the indent of my chest . The breeze was ever so slight not doing much for the heat but just gentled rustled the leaves overhead. I happened to look over at my fellow ice cream eating compadre and could see the blonde hairs on the nape of his neck glisten with the suns rays . It was kind of artistic looking in an odd sort of way . Even though under the naked eye it appeared blonde ; the reflecting light showed so many hues. I don’t think we sat under that tree for more than twenty minutes but during that small span of time while licking our fingers between lapping our ice cream I seen things I hadn’t even noticed about him . He can be a real dork at times ; much like myself; laughing at the most simple things yet could be so serious with me telling me what his hopes-wishes and dreams entailed . He not only had them in his mind; he had plans on how he would hopefully reach them. We had talked about things like this before but now that we were in a place more out of the way than usual ;we were freer to talk and to listen without the background noises of traffic or other noises. He shifted from his position ; moving his back from the tree and asked me “ Joe what are some of your dreams ?” I had told him before some of my dreams and what I had hopes for but this time he asked me what it was I like to do best to unwind . I told him that I enjoy writing. He has read some of it but finds my poetry to be depressing ; yet he says its my life so I tell it like I see it. He has also said that he thinks if I look an any little thing I could write something and bring it to life. That was my greatest compliment ever . “Joe if someone hears them be called an idiot over and over ; sometimes they will believe it because its all they here. When you write with real feeling; about positives , people will pick up on it -the written word is so strong “ I found this to be actually funny coming from the guy who couldn’t respond to an email because he couldn’t convey his feelings . The sun didn’t let up and we were getting dehydrated so we walked on back and had something to drink . It was getting late and we had to go our separate ways . We exchanged the words and hugs we always did and he went walking his way and I went mine. He stopped and yelled across the parking lot “ Joe !! What are you doing tonight ? “ I had no idea and told him so. “Wrong answer -you’re gonna go home and start that dream-go write “ So I did .

No comments:

Post a Comment