Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A Prologue to Harsh Words -Harsher reality


Since posting my write up about HIV and AIDS ; I have had a few people ask me “Why AIDS and HIV ?” Although it is true that there is much that could be written about ; I wrote about this because it deeply touched the core of my being. There are 100 000 plus people in this city which means at least that many stories that could be and some should be told. The friend I am writing about is not from Cambridge or even Canada for that matter ; but it could easily have been about anyone around here.

“As you know by my last posting about AIDS and HIV I am very passionate about the cause . I usually share alot of my inner feelings but this one is different. Not all of you know the WHY behind why I wrote this and a few others about discrimination and sexuality . It was not that long ago -less than 6 months that an online friend of mine had committed suicide . When I heard the news and the reactions he recieved ; I literally threw up and passed out on the floor . He was shown very little compassion .He was upfront and honest with everyone with his diagnosis , He was HIV positive and told everyone and tried to educate them on how and how not they could contract it. To alot of people it fell on deaf ears and empty hearts. His parents pretty well disowned him -his classmates would make a huge deal if he sneezed in class even though my friend covered his mouth and nose fully. His parents would no longer sit with him in church on Sunday . What should have been the most secure place for him fell apart. People would scoot away on their seats in church. He was a big hugger !! Eventually he stopped getting hugs . When people say words are just letters strung together; they are wrong. Words can be weapons and in my friends case they mortally wounded him . As much as he tried going on in life smiling and acting upbeat -he was dying emotionally. He felt unattached from everyone . People say when people commit suicide “they took the easy way out ” To maybe me and maybe you ; it was , but life for him from the time he was diagnosed and was open and honest was not easy. He was made to feel all alone and he died all alone . His brother told me that at his funeral there was lots of people and lots of crying and hugs . A little too late I think. My friend could have used those tears of compassion and those hugs and those words of acceptance. A little too late. I don\’t want to see someone else go through that which he did .

No comments:

Post a Comment